Thursday 21 August 2014

As October approaches Launch, Build BotObjects Other Editions Video



BotObjects 3D printer is a printing company that promises "full color" in a system that uses a set of colored filaments for extracting colored plastic in layers. Like Makerbot, plastic ProDesk3D layered deposits and can print color bands around an object and not really specific points in a model.

That said, they have more video of the printer in action (I can not embed here, perhaps by design); the founders have offered a practice after a little back and forth.

After following this company in the last month or so, I've seen a number of 3D printers express skepticism in your product. I've seen a lot of vaporware in my day - I was one of the first guys to poo-poo the Phantom console at the time - and, at least, these guys are willing to work the crowd. The printer, as shown in these videos is not exactly full color printing - it is essentially only good in creating bands of color around a device - but could be programmed to add spot color in the right places.

Although I can not say I have seen this with my own eyes, my understanding of the technology we are seeing a working model will be ready to ship within a few weeks.

Is this a true color 3D printer? If you accept the clear limitations of the current incarnation then sure, it's entirely possible to create colorful plastic objects very well with this technology. If you are looking for something more detailed, however, you will need to use services like Shapeways to print real, full color sandstone. I am cautious but optimistic about BotObjects ProDesk3D, that is all I can be without seeing it in the flesh (or plastic).


No comments:

Post a Comment